Sunday, February 6, 2011

Packing

So, I am about to go off to TJ Maxx in search of clothes to take with me on the St. James Trail.  That might make a purist's skin crawl (Bill, are you reading this?), but I am looking for comfort and easy-to-care-for, and I really don't care where they come from. 

The websites I have looked at advise walkers not to carry more than 10% of their body weight.  For me, that would be 13 pounds, but I will try to limit my load to closer to 4 or 5 pounds because my arthritis probably won't tolerate more.  I can't carry any weight on my back; it will all have to go around my hips, so I am giving this a lot of thought. I'll need a water bottle, some pills, a toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, deodorant, soap.  I'll need socks and undies, gloves, a hat, and a change of clothes.  I'll need a couple of tiny plastic panchos for the rain, something for the cold, and some sort of sleeping bag (good to 32 degrees) for the hostels.  I'll need a light, a camera/phone, an ID case, and some first aid things, and I would love to take something to read.  I haven't weighed all that out yet, but I am hopeful.

For clothes, I plan to take tights and a shift -- a tunic of some kind, washable, lightweight, and tough.  That's what I am shopping for today.  I don't really expect to find it; in the back of my mind, I guess I expect to have to make it, if I can find a suitable fabric.

While I'm out today, I will also try to walk my 5-mile loop.  I have walked twice this week so far and it's going well, but I think I need to pick up the pace.  So, if I survive this afternoon's walk, I think I'll add another mile or two here in the neighborhood after supper.  We'll see how that goes.

This trip is beginning to look possible -- no pain, no shin splints so far.  Up to this point, my plane tickets have been on hold, but if I am still standing after 7 miles, I will lock them in before bed tonight.  Big day.


No comments: